Thursday 5 November 2020

A pudding experiment!

 During the early part of lockdown I used up the last of our pudding rice and couldn't get any more in our local Tesco, which was a tad annoying.  Anyhoo, I had a brainwave and got some arborio rice to try out as a substitute ~ after all it's short-grain like pudding rice is.  And then I promptly forgot all about making rice puds over the summer 😄  Fast-forward to Christmas Pudding Sunday and I found myself with fresh milk to use up from the leftover ingredients ~ finally time for that rice pudding experiment 😉


As you can see the arborio behaved just like the pudding rice does.  I got to thinking about what exactly "pudding rice" is, so did a quick search on Google and this is what the good 'ole BBC has to say on the matter:

"This is not a specific type of rice, but a generic description for short-grained white rice used for making rice pudding.  The term is rarely used outside England.  Whichever rice you use, the important thing is that it should give a soft, creamy, slightly sticky result."

So now we know!  If you too fancy a bowl of comforting, rib-sticking, rice pudding here's the very simple recipe I've used for donkey's years, which gives 4-6 servings:

5oz/140g short-grain rice, such as pudding or arborio rice
3oz/90g sugar
2 pints/1 litre milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Place all the ingredients, except the vanilla, in a saucepan and bring to the boil.  Turn down to a gentle simmer and cook for about 25-30 minutes, stirring from time-to-time to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.  When the rice is cooked, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.

4 comments:

  1. I always use normal long grain, and after all the government foodbox rice we had delivered, we'll be eating long grain rice pudding u till 2023 😉
    Enjoy, beautiful lady. Do you put mixed spice or nutmeg on the top?
    The skin offthe top is my fave part x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like nutmeg ~ but I also like to add a dollop of jam! And sometimes, if I'm feeling REALLY naughty, then I will add a dollop of black cherry jam and another of chocolate spread ~ Black Forest rice pudding ROFL I like the skin off the top of rice pudding but the skin on custard, on the other hand, makes me shudder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black forest rice pudisquote frankly Pure Genius

    ReplyDelete