Tuesday 28 July 2020

It's a dreich day...

...so I thought I'd share some recent photos of the flowers in the kitchen garden borders to cheer us all up. 


If I'm honest, the actual shape of the tiger lilies aren't my favourite but they do smell lovely.  They transplanted very well, too, seemingly not even noticing that they had been moved!



On the other hand, I really do like the shape of the pot lilies but sadly they aren't scented which is a shame.  Just like the tiger lilies, they also transplanted without missing a beat.  Both have now gone over but they were lovely and flowered for quite some time.



So pretty 😊


The lupins sulked a lot when I moved them but they were flowering at the time so I suppose it's understandable.  Still, they continued to bloom despite some of the leaves and stems being somewhat droopy.  I guess I should have cut them right back when they were transplanted, but I didn't have the heart to do it.  I love lupins; my Grandma grew them in her garden and they always remind me of her. 


The campanulas, despite being moved when they had started to flower, have also bloomed beautifully.  The leaves looked a wee bit tatty but they perked up.  Of course, now that they too have more or less gone over the whole plants are looking messy again.



The peony was already here which, as you may recall, is why I decided to put in the log edging to give it it's own little piece of border.



The blooms are lovely but they do get bashed about a bit with the wind and rain we get up here.  The weather doesn't seem to deter them from growing well, though.  They have gone over now so I am letting the alstroemeria come through.  There is a lot of it in this border and I have to keep pulling most of it out otherwise it would just take over. 



I've left this clump of alstroemeria, though, as it takes over from the bluebells when they die back.



This little dwarf scabiosa has such pretty blue flowers.  I moved it out of a tub into the garden ~ it seems much happier here.



I do like bellis perennis and have a few plants throughout the borders.  They were in an old wheelbarrow with some dwarf spring bulbs earlier in the year ~I think I've got some photos that I haven't shown you yet, so I must remember to do that 😊



Another plant that we had a lot of but for the life of me I can't remember what its called.  Anyhoo, I've made good use of it as a very handy ~ and pretty ~ gap-filling plant in various places in the borders.



This sweet little flower is on a potentilla.  I don't know what the variety is as the plant label was nowhere to be seen when I moved it!



I found this little beauty growing in the stone chippings in our back garden.  I think it must have seeded itself from our neighbour's garden as she has lots of them.  I'm not entirely sure what it is but think it may be a California poppy.  I decided to move it to this front border and luckily it wasn't perturbed by the move at all.



I have quite a few alchemilla mollis in the borders, one of my favourite plants.



The creeping jenny appears to be making a bid to take over the garden 😉



The astilbes are starting to flower.



They are another plant I have a number of in the borders.



I had some of these erigeron karvinskianus in a planter on the kitchen windowsill.  They made a lovely display but when they started to look a bit overcrowded I moved them to the garden borders. 



The two spirea I moved are more plants that didn't seem to care about being shifted elsewhere...



...and neither did these shasta daisies.  This variety is called Banana Cream and is very pretty.



I planted this climbing rose a couple of years ago and this year it has had lots of flowers.



It's called A Shropshire Lad, from David Austin Roses, and is very beautiful with a lovely scent.



This rosa rugosa was one of a few already in the garden.  They were all dug up from the front and temporarily heeled in out the back.  My word, they are tough old plants!  I moved this one back into the front garden (not where it had been planted previously) and it's been flowering quite happily.



This pretty rose is The Mayflower, one of those I planted when we first made the new borders.  It's got so many new buds on it!  I wasn't expecting any of my new roses to flower this year to be honest, so this has been a lovely surprise.



This little beauty is another of the new roses, Fru Dagmar Hastrup.



And finally, do you remember me telling you about how I moved a very sad-looking mahonia from a too-sunny position elsewhere in the garden into this much more shady border?


Well just look at it now, it's got a new lease of life and is romping away!  Ignore the weeds ~ I've tidied all the new borders since I took this photo 😉

All-in-all, I'm really pleased with how well the borders are looking especially since they are so newly-made.  I'm just hoping that today's wind and rain doesn't cause too much damage! 

No comments:

Post a Comment