Saturday 31 October 2020

Fruit cage ✔


Remember those two one-tonne bags of stone chippings?  Well, one of 'em is now completely empty and the other has a good quarter less than it started off with!  Whilst we are being battered by storm Aiden today, with 60-70mph winds, we were lucky to have some good weather earlier in the week.  We took advantage of those few hours of sunshine and ploughed on with the fruit cage area, which is now ready to be planted up. 


I've had a bit of a rethink about how to set out the planting.  The three cordon trees will still be going in this right-hand bed, with the two redcurrant bushes I've been growing on planted between them.  The blackcurrants will be going in the bed over on the far left.  I've gone back and forth in my mind about the middle bed, and have finally decided that this will become my cold-frame.  It's going to be a very long time until we can have a greenhouse put up in the back garden, and so I think a cold-frame is really a "must-have" to help me out until then.  I'm hoping that the wall will help to provide some shelter for the cold-frame, too!  



We've got the planters set out on the patio, too, so hopefully no unexpected tumbling over the edge now 😲  I had an azalea as a free gift with my last plant order which I'm going to put in the galvanised tank, perhaps with a couple of trailing plants.  The black planters will either have a selection of herbs or lavender ~ I can't quite make up my mind.  Perhaps I could have a mixture of both 😉 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment