Monday 12 October 2020

Catching up

 Wow, I am a bad blogger ~ it's almost a month since I last posted a "proper" post LOL  We're still plodding on in the garden, albeit a tad more slowly now that autumn is upon us, and I am still finding pretty plants to take photos of out there.  I'm so happy with how the borders in the kitchen garden have filled out ~ the plants have really thrived over these past few months.  I just hope that they will all survive the upcoming winter months!


All the roses have bloomed beautifully this year, and still have buds on them.


This little fuchsia has settled in very nicely since I moved it, although I confess that I thought it was going to die on me for a while!


I've been amazed at how well ~ and quickly ~ all the plants I relocated have settled into their new positions.  This potentilla has such delicate little blooms.


I have three of these spiraea Anthony Waterer in various parts of the garden.  It's recently dawned on me that I actually have a fair few pink flowering plants and shrubs, which is a bit of a surprise in a way as my favourite colour is blue!  


These photographs were taken a couple or so weeks back, so the sedums are well into flower now.  This is Autumn Joy.


One of the dwarf buddleia I moved; this is, I think, White Chip.  I really didn't think this was going to make it but after having me worried for a while, it finally decided to live to fight another day as it were LOL


Most of the campanulas have flowered for a second time, despite being moved whilst they were all in bud.  Their leaves looked terrible, all crispy and dead-looking, but most of the buds still opened.  When their flowers had died back I cut the stems down to new leaf shoots.  I'm pretty sure that my gardening techniques would make professional gardeners shudder but hey, it works for me.....most of the time 😉  They have virtually all gone over now but this one was looking lovely a couple of weeks back.


I am so happy with my little alpine bed, the plants have thrived beautifully.  The test, of course, will be the coming winter months.  Not so much the cold but the rain as our winters can be pretty wet (to be fair, our summers can be pretty wet too LOL).  I'm still trying to decide whether or not to top the bed with fine chippings, or just see how the plants cope.  I've got some miniature spring bulbs to put in, so I'll make a decision after I've done that.  


Adrian spotted this gorgeous song thrush and called me over to have a look.  I had to wait a while whilst it was poking about in the undergrowth, but eventually I managed to get a not-very-good photo of it through the dining room window.


This chap, on the other hand, was much more obliging and posed very nicely for quite some time LOL  Like the others, this photograph was taken a few weeks back.  It was a lovely day and we had a gentle stroll down to the harbour in the sunshine 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment