Thursday 27 August 2020

Houseplant inventory August 2020: Living room

So part two of my houseplant inventory sees us in the living room.....actually I'm pretty sure you will have guessed that from the title of the post, eh 😏  Anyhoo, here we are with yet more not-very-good photos ~ in hindsight, I should have placed the plants against a wall to take their individual photos.  Oh well, I shall have to try to remember my own advice for future photo shoots!


This group of echeveria and aeonium used to live on the half-landing windowsill, which faces west.  The two taller plants in particular were always stretching towards the window, obviously needing more direct sunlight than they were getting.  This side window in our living room is south-facing but somewhat over-shadowed by our neighbour's house and trees, and our garden wall.  Nevertheless, it does seem to suit the plants better than their previous home.  When we eventually get our porch done I will most likely move them out there as it will be much sunnier than any of our other rooms are.


This is aeonium Velour, which as you can see has grown very leggy during its time on the half-landing.  I'm hoping that as it matures it will start to branch out.  I may well try taking some leaf cuttings next spring to see if I can make some more plants.


I'm sure that this echeveria Duchess of Nuremberg should be a compact plant but it grew in a most peculiar way on the half-landing, developing a very long stem which couldn't support the leaves.  I'm hoping it will now continue its growth in a more normal fashion!


Funnily enough, this echeveria chihuahuensis Raspberry Dip has stayed much more compact despite living on the same windowsill as the two previous plants.


This is a pretty little plant: aeonium bethencourtianum Variegatum.  Now that I've taken a close-up photo I can see specks of compost on the leaves that I missed when I brushed them off!


Another member of my "plants-with-no-label" collection but it looks to be from the echeveria family.  It seemed to be the most happy of the plants on the half-landing windowsill ~ I hope it continues to be happy in its new location!


Aeonium domesticum is another very pretty succulent but this one obviously wasn't happy in its previous home.  I'm hoping that now it's been cut back somewhat, it will start to clump up more.  I saved four of the cuttings which I potted up in damp compost ~ I will be so pleased if they "take" 😊  


I suppose, like children, one shouldn't have favourites but this rhipsalis baccifera is definitely one of mine.  I know it may look somewhat boring to most folk but I love its long floppy stems, and the way it looks like a full head of hair 😃  Unfortunately, it isn't really "on show" here behind the TV but it grows so well here that I haven't the heart to move it just so I can sit and admire it all day!  Still, I get to stroke its lovely stems at least twice a day when I open and close the curtains 😉


This little group sit on the coffee table, out of direct sunlight. The two kalanchoe blossfeldiana are cuttings taken from a plant that lives in our bathroom.  They are very gradually straightening themselves up ~ the parent plant was in a bit of a leggy mess! ~ and hopefully will grow into nice little plants.


 The schlumbergera has lived here for quite some time and seems very happy, flowering regularly with pretty pale pink blooms...


...which it did back in June, which was a pleasant, if unexpected, surprise!


Another of my rather poor windowsill photos.  This window faces east, as does the one in the dining room.


Nolina recurvata is an unusual-looking plant, don't you think, with that swollen bulb-like base!  It's described in one of my houseplant books as "a curiosity rather than a thing of beauty" but I have to say that I am very fond of my Pony Tail palm 😊


And finally we have crassula ovata Hobbit ~ a plant that is probably not everyone's cup of tea but I like the weirdness of it!

So that's twelve plants here in the living room ~ isn't it amazing how many can be fitted in if you really put your mind to it  😂 

No comments:

Post a Comment