Wednesday 29 May 2019

Houseplant hoarder?


Did I ever tell you that I have a bit of a thing for houseplants???  All those different shades of green, the variegated varieties, gazillions of leaf shapes ~ and so many put the icing-on-the-cake by flowering too!  What more could anyone want to adorn their home?  I love them!

And yet I confess that I have been a bad houseplant parent over this past year or so.  I did lose some of my lovely potted friends during the move up here; I suspect that they didn't much like the long journey, nor the overnight stop in a cold removals lorry on a January night in Scotland.  It disheartened me somewhat as my little potted family had lived very happily in our old house, but life was very different for them once we moved into St Abbs.  The house was horribly cold and draughty when we first moved in and until we had the new heating system installed and windows replaced, that remained very much the case.  As well, I've got a fairly large collection of plants and for some reason I've found it somewhat difficult to arrange the guys in nice groupings like I had in the old house.  At the moment my family are just dumped here, there and everywhere ~ I don't like it and I'm pretty sure that they don't either.

I did make the effort to repot some of the survivors last summer, which they seemed to appreciate, but I've found it a bit hard to get back into a good routine of love and care for my potted friends.  I realise that this seems to totally contradict my opening paragraph, but I guess you have realised by now that I am a creature with many little foibles!  Thankfully, though, I have rediscovered my houseplant love.  After all, the poor little mites rely on me to keep them alive, healthy and happy.  I also think it's helped that I've joined a couple of houseplant groups on Facebook ~ being in the company of folk who are houseplant fanatics is very inspiring and I'm starting to feel the re-emergence of my own houseplant fanaticism once more!

I'm going to Kirkwall to see Beverly tomorrow and will help her to sort out some of her houseplants, which I've been promising to do for ages.  In the meantime, I've promised my own potted family that over the next few days I'll give each one of them a careful examination.  I'll get my hands back in the soil to repot where necessary, trim, tidy, feed and properly arrange in the most suitable and pleasing locations in St Abbs.....and set aside some time every day to love and enjoy my little potted pets 😍

1 comment:

  1. Give my best wishes to Bev. I seem to have a window sill that's the Aloe temple. My plants have so many baby aloe that I'm going to have have them adopted out. (Yet my bedroom sill that faces the same direction, nothing grows!)
    Much love to you x

    ReplyDelete