Wednesday 15 May 2019

A little bit of crochet

Just a handful of things I've cobbled together recently 😊


I've been thinking about the amount of empty plastic bottles we seem to generate and came to the conclusion that we really don't "need" shower gel when we could be using bars of soap.  By a stroke of good fortune I had already come across a pattern for soap-saver bags (unfortunately I can't now remember on which site I saw it), and decided to make a bag each for hubby and I to (hopefully!) make it easier using bars of soap in the shower.  I had a rummage around in my stash of natural fibre yarns and came across these variegated beauties in my favourite colour: blue!  Bonus points for our new upstairs bathroom having been painted blue and white LOL

It's a really simple pattern.  Just make a length of chain the same as the width of your bar of soap, crochet (I used UK double crochet)  along it as normal then continue back to the beginning along the other side of the starting chain stitches.  Keep going round and round until the bag is a suitable length for your soap.  Although I made these bags in the round, they could just as easily be made as a single piece of crochet (would have to make the starting chain twice the width of your bar of soap) with one side and the bottom sewn/crocheted together.  Or, of course, keep to the width of the soap and crochet the body of the bag twice the length and sew up the two long sides! I then crocheted a fairly long length  of chain and threaded it through the top to make a drawstring and hanging loop.  Easy-peasy!

We still have a couple of bottles of shower gel to use but I will try to remember to let you know how we get on with this soap bag option.


I also made some more dishcloths, two in a waffle stitch pattern and the other a simple rectangle of (UK) half trebles.  I do love  my handmade dishcloths!


And after all that, I had enough oddments left to finish off another little kitten blanket for Orkney Islands Cats Protection.

It seems that my crochet mojo is coming back, so I'm hoping to now get stuck into the two rather large WIPs that have been hanging around for quite some time.  I'll share more of those soon 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment