Tuesday 8 December 2020

How do you make an elephant?

One stitch at a time, of course 😄


Well, I finally girded my loins and got started on the elephant Amanda (my sister) has asked me to make for a charity event.  I did a Google search for crochet elephant patterns and came across quite a few but I found this 1940s Crochet Elephant pattern rewrite very appealing, so decided to give it a whirl.  

This is my progress thus far.  I'm using Aran yarn leftover from the Christmas Gift Blanket, and a 4mm hook instead of the recommended 5mm to make a tighter fabric.  I'm quite pleased, to be honest, with how it's working out ~ as I've mentioned before, my crochet projects are usually very simple affairs!  This is a pretty straightforward pattern but when I read through the instructions before making a start, it did occur to me that I could perhaps make some slight alterations.

As you can see, the elephant's blanket is crocheted after the main part of the body has been worked and I must admit that I found the head-end in particular a tad unwieldy during the process.  I would much prefer to make the whole of the body in one piece, and make a separate, removable, blanket.  I decided to follow the pattern for this first attempt but will see if I can get my head around making those little alterations that have popped up in there.  Methinks I have some brain-scrambling ahead of me, judging by the number of attempts I had to make to get that last tissue-box cover how I had envisioned the bloody thing in my head!

My sister-in-law has asked if I could also make one for her birthday in June and Amanda's charity event isn't until later next year, so at least I have a few months to work it out 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment