Saturday 28 July 2018

WW1 Hearts


As I mentioned yesterday, I've been working on a contribution to an art project ~ my very first one!  It is to commemorate the centenary of Armistice Day, and also to help raise funds for Combat Stress who are a charity for veterans' mental health issues.

Untangled Threads have made sawdust-filled calico hearts ~ 1,568 in fact, which represent one heart for each day of the war ~ which are replicas of those made in WW1.  During WW1 thousands of these kits were commercially produced and distributed to both soldiers and civilians. 


I have been strangely nervous about taking part in this exhibition, and put off actually doing anything with the pincushion right up to the last minute, bearing in mind it had to be back in Scarborough by the 31st July!  In the end I decided that the best way forward was to stop procrastinating, make something simple, and stick with what I know, hence the yarn 😉  It made it into the post on Thursday, so hopefully it'll be at its destination in time to meet the deadline!


I trawled online for a simple but effective crocheted poppy pattern, and changed it slightly by working the centre in black rather than red as in the original; I also made a black crochet granny heart.


I poked about on ebay and found some rather lovely vintage black buttons for the centre of the poppy.


In honour of the fact that this is a pincushion, I attached the heart and three poppies using black glass-headed pins.....


.....and added the date using the pins supplied with the kit.

As I say, in the end I made something very simple but nevertheless I'm still very pleased with the end result 😊

1 comment: