Saturday 15 February 2020

Downstairs bathroom: ✔; utility room: ✔

image from Clipart Library

I am super-dooper pleased to report that the downstairs bathroom and utility are finally finished!  It's certainly been an extremely long process, with a few unexpected hiccups along the way (although by now, we really should expect the unexpected little issues that St Abbs likes to throw us LOL), but it's been such a worthwhile renovation despite everything.  Now that it's done, I find it hard to believe that we lived with the state of the original bathroom ~ it was such a relief when we had the new shower room fitted upstairs!

As the work has taken so long, you might like to have a quick look at this post, which shows more of the work-in-progress, and this one which shows the work almost done 😉  The following photos (which are totally crappy for some reason ~ I obviously need much more photo-taking practice!) show the finishing touches ~ the part I really, really like doing 😊


It's been so nice to get my bits 'n' bobs out on display again.


I think my plant, which used to be in the old bathroom, will like living here by the new window.


Between taking this photo and the couple above I had a mini rearrangement!  We have a stack of pictures and prints that we brought with us and just haven't got round to hanging yet.  I was convinced that I had another colourful print that would be ideal to hang in the bathroom and here it is LOL  I also slightly rearranged the things on the cistern as I had a group of shells that I wanted to display.  I was going to put them in a china bowl but I thought it looked too big, plus I really wanted to use it in the dining room for pot pourri.  I had a rummage around and found the little glass dish, which was just perfect for the job.  It's great to be able to go "shopping" with what you've already got in your own home 😉


The lovely large shell now sits in the corner of the shower tray.


I decided not to continue the beachy, sea theme out into the utility as I had a few vintage laundry items I wanted to finally be able to display.  I should have taken this photo further back then I would have got the whole of the washing dolly in the picture, rather than just its handle!

The curtains in here and the bathroom were a pair I originally bought for our bedroom when we first moved in.  I was never all that thrilled with them in there, to be honest; they were a bit of a purchase-in-a-hurry as we had no curtains for the window at all.  Although they do have a lining, they are very lightweight and consequently the light comes through quite considerably.  I recently bought a rather lovely pair of vintage curtains on eBay to replace them, which are much more suitable for our bedroom.  I do like this pair in the bathroom and utility, though.


I came across these little Mr Cuthberts "guide to" books on eBay a long time ago ~ the colourful covers caught my eye.  I decided to frame them as they are so pretty, keeping the booklets intact behind the mount and plexiglass 😊  It's nice to finally get this up on a wall as I didn't get round to it in our old house.  The fairy windchimes lived in the lean-to of our old house for a good few years.  She has lived at the kitchen window here since we moved in, but when I went on my little shopping-at-home spree I decided to move her to the utility.  


The airer was a purchase from Orvis so many years ago that I can't even remember exactly when it was now!  It's another thing that didn't get put up at our old house, and lived in its original box in the loft for years.  It's really handy here in the utility, though, for hanging those little things that really don't like being put in the tumble-dryer ~ mostly my bras LOL  I've had the wooden laundry tongs and glass scrubbing board for years, too.  

The plant, like the one above, also lived in the old bathroom.  I'm hoping that it will get enough light in this corner.  The tiny teddy was found in our front garden here after having had a slight encounter with a chainsaw!  I felt so sorry for the poor abandoned little chap that I decided he could live with us.  I chucked him in the washing machine, hoping that he didn't disintegrate, as he was in a terrible state as you can see in the photo below!



Anyhoo, the little chap lived through his ordeal but I still haven't gotten round to doing the surgery needed on his burst seams.  He's probably just grateful to be living in a warm and dry house, though, rather than a cold and wet garden 😉

So there we are, the bathroom and utility finally finished.  We had intended to plough on with the guest bedroom next, but to be honest we feel like we need a wee break from house renovations for a few months so we've decided to have a bit of a breather! 

No comments:

Post a Comment