Tuesday 15 October 2019

Pottering about...


What with one thing or another the garden both front and back has rather got away from me this year, but I have been doing a little pottering about out there.  Adrian and I moved the compost bin before his knee op, leaving the ideal spot to corral Trixie (my tricycle!).  We were hoping that she could be housed in either the garden shed or the store room, but there isn't room in either for her.  Hopefully we'll be able to build some kind of simple shelter in due course, but in the meantime she is well wrapped up in her snazzy new coat.



The compost bin is now sitting on soil, a much better idea than previously where it was on a hard surface.  Since I took this photo we have purchased a second bin which we have now put together and placed on this bed too, in the front right-hand corner area.  I have ordered a pack of three rhubarb plants, two of which will be planted in this bed.  I think they will enjoy the "compost juice" which runs out of the bottom of the bins ~ one of the reasons we decided to move the original bin in the first place.



This little group of fungi popped up in the bed.  I don't know if it was a coincidence but they are growing where Adrian was cutting some logs down in size.



My outdoor potting bench and the pallet were also previously where Trixie now lives.  I thought it would be a good idea to make this part of the garden, beside the shed, into a utility area.  The pallet is where I store bags of compost, etc.



This raised bed is between the garden shed and store room.  The chimney and two offcuts are from the pots which were originally on St Abbs.  I do like to make use of bits 'n' bobs if I can!  Anyhoo, I gave the bed a tidy up although to be honest it really wasn't that weedy (plenty of bits of rubble, though *sigh*) ~ unlike the rest of the garden LOL



I've got some plants in the bed now, some of which were waiting in pots and some moved from other parts of the garden.  It's rather shady here so I've mostly used woodland-type plants.  Hopefully the bed will start to look better next spring!


I couldn't resist taking a close-up of a rosa rugosa hip which grows in the bed beside the compost pallet, it just struck me as being so beautiful.  Isn't nature wonderful 😍 

No comments:

Post a Comment