Wednesday 9 October 2019

A basket of middles


I haven't actually got 18 projects on the go, and I don't think that anything has taken me 27 years to complete so I'm way ahead of the average, eh 😉 That's not to say that I haven't got more than one or two WIPs.....possibly I may have a few more than that ~ I just can't seem to work on one thing at a time 😄

Anyhoo, I got this urge the other day to make a hexagon patchwork bedcover, using up some of my fabric stash in the process.  I tried to resist, my lovlies, I really did, but as you can see resistance was futile!  Originally I thought I would make the patchwork completely random but as I was sorting through my fabric, I decided to make flowers instead ~ hence the basket of middles. 


My fabric stash consists of small pieces of this fabric and large pieces of that, not to mention the odd very large piece oh, and mediums too.  The pink floral and green stripes were fairly small pieces, especially the pink, and have been more or less completely used up now ~ just tiny scraps are left, no idea what I'll use them for but I'm keeping them for the time being at least!  The blue floral (which was an afterthought choice) was a bit larger, so there is a bit left of that for future projects.  


I started off with the fabrics above and although I had decided to make flowers, at that point I was still thinking that I would place them randomly using all the different fabrics. 


After a lot of cogitation, though, I decided to lay out the flowers in a pattern and restrict myself to just the six fabrics with the arrows above.  I completely forgot to photograph those six fabrics arranged together in the order I'm planning to place them, so it'll be a nice surprise for you guys as time goes on, won't it 😄  Mostly the reason for a design rather than random is that I am a somewhat impatient maker.  If I had gone along the totally random route I would really have to make all the flowers so that I could then lay them out together to see which should go where, but by having a design I can make enough for one row at a time and then start to actually sew the bed cover together as I go along.  In fact, after the first row has been done I could even just add one flower at a time ~ like I said, patience is definitely not one of my virtues!


Ta daah ~ my first flower!  One down, only 143 to go!  I think this may well turn out to be a longterm project.....but hopefully won't take 27 years LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment