Saturday 23 November 2019

Quite the revelation!


I have been merrily chucking my used teabags in our compost caddy for years, only to discover recently that they actually contain a small amount of plastic and should therefore be put in the household waste bin!  Actually, if I'm honest, I feel a wee bit ashamed that I didn't know that most teabags contain plastic 😟  Still now that I do know, I no longer compost the bags.  Instead, because I had bought quite a few boxes when they were on offer (Adrian doesn't drink tea or coffee!), I have been cutting open the bags and tipping the contents into a Kilner jar to use the leaves loose.  This meant that I had the ideal "excuse" to treat myself to a lovely new teapot, complete with its own infuser 😉


There is just something so cosy about a little brown teapot, really "hygge", and if it's possible to be in love with an inanimate object then I suspect that I may well be 😍 


I've had the tea-cosy for years ~ no idea why I originally bought it, actually, as I've never used loose tea or even put tea-bags in a teapot!  Still, it's certainly seeing plenty of use now LOL  I may even crochet myself a second cosy to use up a little more of that yarn stash!


The revelation, though, has been the difference between brewing the loose tea in a teapot and just pouring boiling water over the bag in a mug!  I have been amazed at how much more flavour and scent there is brewing in a pot.  I mostly drink Lady Grey tea at home and Earl Grey in the main when I am out-and-about, both of which are "scented", but it's still been quite eye-opening for me at the difference between loose tea and the bags.

The only drawback to making this changeover is that I haven't been able to get hold of loose Lady Grey in Tesco, which is where I do most of my shopping.  I'm not actually sure that any of the supermarkets sell loose Lady Grey, to be honest.  Tesco do sell loose Earl Grey, though, so I've bought a pack as I drink it at home from time-to-time.  I have been a tad naughty today, though, and have splurged out on a 500g caddy of Lady Grey from the Twinings online shop ~ I know how to live, eh 😉  

No comments:

Post a Comment