Saturday 17 March 2018

Surprisingly good news!


We decided that it was definitely time to get an electrician to check out the electrics at St Abbs when another bulb died in the living room ceiling light, with a decidedly nasty smell of burning!  I contacted RS Merriman Ltd on Monday and a very nice young man called Ryan came out the next day.  He was extremely thorough, as you might expect, and the upshot was that actually the electrics were all classed as "satisfactory".  Well, apart from the cable to the consumer unit from the mains that is.  That isn't actually as horrifying as it sounds, so don't worry LOL  We don't have enough outlets for it to be a problem and when we have a new consumer unit fitted, as per Ryan's recommendation (and something we had already thought of, incidentally), the cable will be changed for the correct size.

Ryan came back out again on Wednesday to fit new ceiling lamp holders in place of the old light fittings that we inherited.  I've now been able to put up my own lightshades, which made me very happy 😊


Talking of consumer units, Ryan asked if I knew where it was.  Adrian and I thought this white box was the consumer unit ~ turns out it is only for the storage heaters LOL  Ryan and I scratched our heads for a while. We could see the cables from the mains, up there at the right of the photo behind a little wallpapered panel.  Logically, it looked like they were going into the cupboard under the stairs so he had a good look ~ nope, not in there.      


Turned out that what Adrian and I had thought was just another section of badly papered wall was actually disguising a door, behind which was the consumer unit!  Funnily enough, it had been installed back in 1985 by Merrimans.....before Ryan was born LOL  Of course, now that we know that's where it is we are scratching our heads wondering why we didn't see it in the first place!


A week late, I know, but these are the lovely flowers Beverly bought me for Mother's Day ~ they are still virtually as good as they were last week.  Sam sent me an Amazon gift card which I've used already ~ he knows the way to his mother's heart 😊


Beverly's card to me ~ Sam doesn't believe in sending cards for any occasion LOL

1 comment:

  1. Good way of 'hiding' the power main! Mine's in my broom closet.
    Pretty flowers, they lasted well!

    ReplyDelete