Thursday 8 March 2018

Living in St Abbs

Another photo-heavy post, I'm afraid!  I should have taken photos of the piles of removal boxes we had to unpack but I completely forgot.  Oh well, suffice to say there were an awful lot of 'em 😉


We have lovely views from St Abbs of the Bay of Ireland and the Orphir Hills.  The light constantly changes ~ oh, how I wish I could paint!


The living room is much larger than in our previous house ~ the TV is now a fair bit further away LOL  The boxes behind Adrian's and my chairs are full of books.  We don't have any shelving to put them on yet.


Once our new heating system has been installed we will have the old storage heater removed, and the sofa can then be moved to the wall opposite its current position.  Eventually we are hoping to have a small multi-fuel stove installed behind where the sofa is at the moment.


I do love having windows on two sides of the room ~ my houseplants love it, too 😊


I did manage to unpack some of the books.....my dolls' house, knitting and crochet books LOL


Matty seems much more settled now.


There is more space to move about in our new dining room.


I was very happy to get my blue and white china back in the cabinet.  Mind you, I had a serious cull as I was unpacking the boxes, only keeping the pieces that I really love.


The storage heater in here isn't working, so it's a relief to have the electric fire to warm the room when we need it.


I even have enough space for two of my dolls' houses in here, even if they are unfinished!


There is a terrific draught through this window, a combination of a rotten unit and cracked glass.  Oh my, I am so looking forward to getting our new windows installed!


I wasn't going to inflict photos of the bathroom upon your delicate dispositions, but thought it would be a good "before" and "after" exercise.  Well, it will be once the bathroom has been sorted out 😉


The walls are terribly damp.....


.....because the loft-space above is so wet.  This is the side of the house with the leaking chimney.  Like I said previously, the dampness runs right down this side of the house.  We will feel much happier once the chimney has been repaired.


The washing machine and tumble-dryer are a bit "in-your-face" at the moment, but eventually I'm hoping we will be able to make a little utility room by altering the floor plan of the bathroom.


I'm using the white cabinet (which I had in our old house) for its original intended purpose, as a little larder.


We are making-do for now with a mini oven and a hotplate.


I'm dreaming of one day having a double butler's sink 😍


This rug, quite literally, took up the whole of the centre of our old kitchen floor ~ it actually touched the base units!  I have never had such a large kitchen as this LOL


Hubby being very industrious at the computer 😉


I love the way the bannister curves round the stairs.


It will be wonderful when this window is replaced, too.  The cold air drops down the stairs ~ I sit at the computer with a blanket wrapped round my legs!


It does let in lots of light, though.


The guest bedroom is stuffed with all my craft things at present.


Arthur, Archie and Fred like to take life easy LOL


I've got plants spread out all over the house at the moment!


Jane has a lovely view out of the window, especially now that the tree has been taken down.


Belinda, Bunty and Bertie also believe in taking life at a leisurely pace!


Adrian has now stripped off the wallpaper in the boxroom.


More plants!


We had fitted wardrobes in our old bedroom, so I bought a couple of hanging-rails to tide us over until we get round to having built-in cupboards put in.


Our bed is opposite the window, so we face the rising sun each morning 😊


When we have had the new windows fitted, we will have some simple Roman blinds put up.


Yet another little group of houseplants!


And to finish off yet another photo-epic post, this little chap was found by Vernon when he was taking out the hedge in the front garden.  He got a teensy wee bit caught in the chainsaw and was altogether in a very sorry state ~ goodness knows how long he had been left abandoned in the hedge.


But look at him now!  I felt so sorry for the sad-looking little mite, and just couldn't bring myself to throw him away.  So I stuck him in the washing machine with a load of laundry and hoped for the best.  He came out looking so much better than I could ever have hoped for!  I need to do a little bit of surgery on Tiny Ted's burst seams, and I may have to give him new pads on his hands and feet.  He looks very happy to be indoors now, though, living in the bowl of shells 😊 

2 comments:

  1. I love your epic photo's around the house, you have made it homely all ready ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really had a mammoth job! Whew!
    I love your 'new' house.
    If I was ever going to move, I would take my antiques and personal items out. The rest would go in a bonfire in the back yard. I never would want the 'big' move again.

    ReplyDelete