Saturday 18 November 2017

I took a deep breath...


...girded my loins and began downsizing the contents of my craft shed!  I started on Wednesday and am still working through everything *sigh*  Still, I have already donated two large boxes of stuff to a friend who works with elderly folk in a care home ~ she does various activities and crafting with them ~ and there are a couple of bags ready for the charity shop.  So at least nothing is going to waste 😊

As I mentioned before, our new home in Orkney is smaller than here so I am being ruthless in deciding what to keep and what to let go.  I have also had to accept that I simply don't have time to create everything that catches my eye and strains my purse!  I have collected so much of this and that over the years, and it has all just sat in the shed gathering dust.  To be honest, it has been rather overwhelming when I've gone in there ~ too...much...stuff ~ and I haven't known where to start.  My creativity has long since ground to a halt, which should have been a wake-up call to stop buying yet more materials.  Sadly for me (and my bank balance!) I just ignored the fact that I was hoarding way more craft materials than I was ever going to be able to make use of.  Perhaps I was secretly hoping that the more variety of stuff I had, the easier it would be to actually get on with making things...

Who knows what's been going on in my poor 'ole brain ~ not me, that's for sure!

During all this downsizing I have had to be very focused and ask myself whether what I am sorting through are things that I truly want to keep, or whether I am just hanging on to them for the sake of it.  Thankfully I have found it easier to let stuff go than I was expecting, which has been a tremendous relief to me.  I have also had a thorough clear-out on my computer.  I had so many documents stored: things to make, pictures that had given me an idea, links to websites, etc.  Plus there were all the craft books I had collected ~ they have been downsized too 😉 

 So my new craft shed will be much more streamlined.  As well as using the space for creating and making, I will be displaying my dolls' houses in there too.  Luckily for me it is a lovely large space!  I still have craft materials to sort through but I am definitely on the homeward stretch now.  When I've finally finished that task, I will be moving on to sorting through all the dolls' house things I have collected over the past few years.  As I don't actually have any of my houses properly built yet (most of them are still in their boxes!), there is nowhere to display all the bits and pieces I've gathered together.  I don't anticipate that I will be wanting to get rid of many items, if any, but I do want to get everything into some semblence of order.  I'm planning on storing things together in "rooms", e.g. all the kitchen things together, etc.

I also have my humungous stash of yarn to be ruthless with ~ hopefully I'll be able to get that done before we actually move LOL 

No comments:

Post a Comment