Saturday 1 April 2017

The end of an era


 After 10 years, I am no longer a hen-keeper 😢


Wood Green Animal Shelter collected Abigail on Tuesday to take her to her new home *sigh*

I have been very worried about our plans to move to Orkney and what that would mean for Abigail.  It really wasn't an option for us to take her all that way with us, especially as we will initially be living in rented accommodation.  I contacted Wood Green last autumn and explained the situation to them.  They were absolutely brilliant and reassuring and I was able to add her and Martha to their list of field animals looking for a new home.  I've been keeping in regular contact with them, just to let them know that I was still looking to rehome the girls.

After Martha passed away, I phoned again to let them know that I now only had one hen to be rehomed, and they told me about their field-to-field rehoming scheme.  What this means is that instead of taking your animal/s to Wood Green, they will collect from you and take straight to the new home.  The lovely lass at Wood Green told me that a lady not too far from here was looking for some companions for her remaining hen.  They were collecting some hens from a lady in Luton who was looking to downsize her flock and would collect Abigail on the way back, which they duly did.

So although I am sad to let Abigail go, I am also relieved that she has been able to go to a new home approved by Wood Green.  It's good to know that she will have new hen friends in her twilight years 😊


So there it is, no longer a keeper of hens.  All I have now are these two metal chooks to remind me of my little flock.  Perhaps I will add more of them to the garden ~ they will be much easier to transport to Orkney!
signature photo Untitled_zpsw5j1utor.png

2 comments:

  1. Whew! At first I thought Abigail had passed too. So happy to hear you found her a new home where she wouldn't be alone or stew. I imagine the back yard gives you a hollow feeling right now. :-(
    )))Hugs(((

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's strange seeing the empty hen house when I look out the kitchen window or go into the garden. I think I will feel more settled once it has been dismantled and taken away. I'm happy that Abigail has a new home with other hens, though :)

    ReplyDelete