Tuesday 11 April 2017

A weekend of pottering


I had a lovely weekend, mostly spent pottering about in the garden.  I have been "robbing Peter to pay Paul" by taking plants from both the brick bed and wooden planter to put in the new border that Steve made last week.  I'll share photos of it soon 😊


Everything is growing so fast now.  Just look at how much growth the mint has put on already, in only 10 days or so!


The houseleeks are very cosy in this lovely terracotta wall planter.  They are really spreading out to fill it now.  Hopefully it won't be long before they are spilling over the edges.


I emptied out the sink and used the plants elsewhere in the garden.  The planting is much simpler now: rose "Nozomi"; saxifrage "Pixie Rose" and geranium "Alice".  The helianthemum at the front was a free plant with my order from Plants for Small Gardens.  I think it is "Peach Melba" ~ I'll try to remember to check next time I'm pootling about in the garden.


This is purple loosestrife, in one of the two tiny nature pools we have in the garden.  Actually, the loosestrife is the reason we have this particular pool!  The plant was originally in our fishpond but when we decided not to keep fish anymore, I didn't want to lose the loosestrife as it is such a lovely plant.  It grows to over a metre in height and has pretty purple-pink flowers for a long time during the summer.

The birds like to drink and bathe in both the pools, but "our" robin always comes to this one which is nearest the house.  He always seems to appear when I come out of the patio door to take care of his ablutions ~ I think he is something of an exhibitionist LOL    
signature photo Untitled_zpsw5j1utor.png

1 comment:

  1. Your garden looks wonderful. I have a friend who took in a baby robin, she had it for several years. One day she set the cage on the back porch and somehow the door got opened, bye-bye birdie!

    ReplyDelete