Monday 26 September 2016

My first wallhanging!

I have been playing with my peg-loom again, this time having a go at making a wallhanging.  I thought it would be a good item to make as I could try out some different yarns, etc, and still end up with something half-decent!


I wanted tassels again but this time I made them, then threaded them down the warp threads before going any further.  It was much easier doing it this way than when I made my first practice piece!


I used the tassel yarn to make a woven section, just going up the height of the pegs, then pushed it down the warps to the meet up with the tassels.


Needless to say, making separate sections just to the height of the pegs is very much simpler than trying to keep the tension right with a longer section!


The next section was using two strands of double knit yarn along with one strand of a bobble yarn (I think it's called pompom yarn).  It made a lovely snuggly, soft section.  Perhaps I should try crocheting a scarf using the two yarns together.....


I made this section larger than the first, and pulled the warps through it.


I added another section of thick yarn, then wondered what ribbon would be like instead of yarn.  Hmmmm, the jury is still out ~ I'm not sure if I like it or not to be honest.

What I really did like, though, was using fleece roving.  I bought three lots of roving whilst we were on holiday in Orkney earlier in the year ~ this is the result of one of those hanks.  I think it looks lovely, and would make a fantastic rug :-)


Another chunky yarn from my stash, although it isn't as thick as the variegated blue yarn.  That's the beauty of wallhangings, though, the textures and thickness of the materials used can be so different.


I finished off with another section of the very chunky yarn and wondered what to do with my masterpiece LOL


I finished it off by attaching it to a twig from my butterfly bush prunings, added some wooden buttons and unwound the tassels.


I'm really rather pleased with my first wallhanging and have plans to make more.  At the moment, though, I have started a rug so watch this space for updates!

signature photo Untitled_zpsw5j1utor.png

2 comments:

  1. That's cool, it didn't seem to take you long. A rug? I'd like to see that. Out of yarn and ribbon or fabric strips? I'll be looking forward to seeing that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sharon! No, it didn't take long at all. The rug is being made out of yarn and fleece roving. I think I will probably give it a quick wash in the washing machine when it's done as I'd like it to be somewhat "felted"

    ReplyDelete